The Fantastic Mrs. S

15 November 2010 at 10:57pm 6 comments

Maylands is building up quite a portfolio of excellent places to drink coffee on the other side of the tracks.

my short macchiato

It started with Milkd, then the fabulous Sherbert, and now Mrs. S has joined the party. We breakfasted at Mrs. S on Saturday morning, on her fourth day of business, and we were not disappointed.

Mrs. S on Urbanspoon

Mrs. S is located on the corner of Whatley Crescent & Eighth Avenue, Maylands. The decor is retro-chic, the bowls (or scales) of wrapped candy are real, the cookbooks dotted around the establishment are for sale, and the service is friendly and attentive.

inside the establishment

Although the menu is limited (and only for now – recruitment of kitchen staff is not yet complete), it satisfies and the coffee is very good.

almond croissant

Our entree was the almond croissant that we devoured in dainty portions, like a miniature cake.

M ordered the toasted ham and cheese sandwich;

Matt's toasted sandwich

I opted for the olive tapenade toast with its avocado, grilled tomatoes, coriander and spring onion. So fresh and tasty, it was the most raw option on the menu and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

olive tapenade toast

I can see this becoming a favourite cafe for us to while away lazy Saturdays with a bite to eat, a cryptic crossword and a pot of peppermint tea. I highly recommend it now; I look forward to sampling what it will be.

H :)

About these ads

Entry filed under: breakfast, coffee, dinner/supper, eating out, lunch, restaurants, reviews. Tags: , , .

C is for Cruciferous The start of something very big (and very good!)

6 Comments Add your own

• 1. annieQ  |  17 November 2010 at 7:30pm

H…you beat me to it!
    I sawthem setting upafew weeks back…very exciting lokking….Maylands is on the food mapat last with this and Sherbet!!!! Going tomorrow morning to check it out.
    Annie

• 2. Hannah  |  17 November 2010 at 10:14pm

I’m keen to know what you think!

H :)

• 3. annieQ  |  18 November 2010 at 11:38am

WellI got there thismornig and opted for”Matt’s Chioce” and waht a grat choice it is Real cheese and fresh ham …yum…I had a pot of Earl Grey tea which was very satifying too…is tomorrow too early to go back…mmmm????

PS I rold the owner the shop had been reccomended which made her very happy…I think she can do with some support from her patrons at these early stages….

• 4. Conor @ HoldtheBeef  |  18 November 2010 at 8:51am

Ooh, was curious about this place. Will have to get myself up there!

• 5. Hannah  |  18 November 2010 at 7:28pm

Awesome, annieQ! I am so glad you enjoyed it too :)

Conor, have you made it there yet?

H :)

• 6. Ruby Anne  |  30 November 2010 at 11:23pm

Hi,

I’d like to give a $10 discount voucher for a very foodly diary readers for home delivery orders on Menulog. (We list 1000+ delivery restaurants for which online orders can be placed.)

The discount is to be typed at checkout and is on top of any existing discounts our restaurants offer. Please let me know if you’re interested and I’ll forward the voucher code. If you would like a special bloggers’ $30 voucher so you can try the whole thing yourself first, this can also be arranged.

Cheers,
    Ruby Anne

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

Entering your email address then clicking on 'The Subscribe Button' will ensure that fresh posts are delivered hot to your Inbox!

Love Thy Food ebook cover
Love Thy Food. Now available from Amazon, Kobo and iBooks - coming soon to Scribd, Nook, Sony, Copia and more!

Want more?

Taste the latest happenings from A Foodly Affair - or ogle us on facebook [yum yum!]:

Are you an inspirational business?

greenjuice

Contact Hannah at hello@afoodlyaffair.com to talk about seeing your face in this space.

Tasty tweets

• A new BMJ study links obesity with living or working near fast food outlets: bmj.com/content/348/bm… tweeted by A Foodly Affair 1 month ago
  • @VickiWoodward Thanks for the favourite! My fruitbread was delicious :) tweeted by A Foodly Affair 1 month ago
  • Sourdough baking done & dusted! Can't wait to try my new fruitbread flavour combination - apricot, walnut & ginger - in the morning :) tweeted by A Foodly Affair 1 month ago