Edible soap

21 February 2011 at 6:37pm 36 comments

I feel more than a little guilty because I have sat on this recipe for about 7 months, and I know it could help others in the same way that it helped me.

edible soap

There was a time when my skin was so bad that I could not use any pre-made preparation on it at all. Soap, soap substitutes and moisturisers all made me itch painfully and uncontrollably. I literally spent hundreds of dollars on products that only worsened the problem.

In desperation, I turned to my pantry and made my own ‘soap’ using food products and Mac – and my experiment paid off. I created a soap alternative that soothed and moisturised my skin at the same time.

The recipe I am about to share does not include any soap (usually tallow, lye and other nasties). I guess that makes it ‘unsoap’. Each ingredient (raw, organic) was hand-picked, based on my limited knowledge of its properties. This makes my unsoap 100% edible and, although it tastes pretty good, I prefer to use it on my body.

Recipe #115: Beauty bar. Makes 2 x 150g bars. I used Mac, my Thermomix, but you could equally use a double-boiler and a whisk.

You will need:
► 50g cacao butter | promoted skin elasticity and healing as it is high in Vitamin E and antioxidants
► 50g coconut oil | a known antifungal and antibacterial agent used, amongst other things, to treat skin problems
► 100g honeycomb | antibacterial, antimicrobial and antifungal, and even purported to have anticancer properties. Honey and beeswax are also humectants, which means that they attract water
► 75g oat flour | to soothe the skin. The oat flour is an anti-irritant and anti-inflammatory, and makes the unsoap milky on your skin as it melts
► 15g macadamia oil | an emollient that helps to soften skin, which is awesome for dry and ageing skin
► 10g avocado oil | rich in essential oils and sterolins, avocado is excellent for your skin
► 1 vanilla pod, chopped into small pieces | I have to confess to including the vanilla pod because I had some prescraped pods (I used the seeds in other recipes). Aside from making the mix smell delightful, vanilla nourishes the skin and the pod itself acts as a mild exfoliant.

Place all ingredients, except for the oat flour, into your Thermomix and stir on speed 1 for 5 mins at 37°C…

the raw ingredients

…until you get this:

all mixed up

Add the oat flour, then blend everything together for 1 minute on speed 3. Pour your mixture into bar-shaped moulds and set in the freezer for at least half an hour.

bars of unsoap

Chop your unsoap bars into single-use slices and store in the fridge or freezer. If you don’t keep the soap cool, you risk finding a melted mess when you next go to use it – and it is absolutely fine to use your unsoap that way too.

all cut up

Although there are no preservatives in the recipe, your unsoap contains multiple antifungal, antibacterial and antimicrobial agents, and it will last for months if refrigerated.

This may seem an expensive recipe but, when you have tried everything (and everything includes very, ridiculously expensive creams), sometimes a little love is all you need. Your skin will feel waxy after using your unsoap in the bath or shower, however the natural oils do soak into your skin as it dries and cools.

As always, I would love to know if you try this out for yourself.

Have an awesome week!

About these ads

Entry filed under: dairy free, gluten free, ideas, medicinal, raw food, recipes, sugar free, Thermomix, vegetarian, yeast free. Tags: , , .

I heart hearts My week with Mr Wolfe

36 Comments Add your own

• 1. Conor @ Hold the Beef  |  22 February 2011 at 4:28pm

I guess this somewhat ruins the effect of “I’m going to wash that mouth out with soap, young lady!”. :)

• 2. Hannah  |  24 February 2011 at 7:11am

It certainly does, Conor!

• 3. 2-minute Noodle Cook  |  27 February 2011 at 12:06pm

My lifesaving solution is cheap “Aqueous Cream” skin cleanser. The ingredients read: purified water, petrolatum, emulsifying wax, mineral oil, phenoxyethanol. After googling the ingredients, it turns out this cream is a simple mixture of oil (baby oil), petroleum jelly (Vaseline), anti-fungal preservative and an emulsifying wax to hold the water, the main ingredient. Your edible version sounds absolutely divine….

• 4. Hannah  |  27 February 2011 at 11:29pm

Lovely to hear from you, 2-minute Noodle Cook! This ‘unsoap’ is pretty delicious-smelling too.

Alas, when my skin was at its worst, I tried every “safe” preparation I could find – including the one you mentioned – and still had a reaction. I couldn’t use anything that claimed to be hypoallergenic, and found that most of these products were not naturally derived.

Raw, plant-based products certainly gave me some relief and I hope my ‘recipe’ ideas help others too.

• 5. ELIzABeth  |  15 May 2011 at 8:48am

cool! Does it really work, I am going to try it.

• 6. Hannah  |  16 May 2011 at 10:43pm

It does – and great news! Let me know how you find it, Elizabeth.

• 7. Winter Hooks  |  27 October 2011 at 12:20am

What is Mac?

• 8. Hannah  |  27 October 2011 at 9:03am

Thanks for your questions, Winter Hooks! Mac is my Thermomix (it’s short for MacGyver).

• 9. Winter  |  29 October 2011 at 1:48am

Wow, is the Thermomix really 2K?

• 10. Hannah  |  29 October 2011 at 7:46am

Yes, Winter, it is. It’s a rather prohibitive factor to start with – but if you talk to anyone with a Thermomix about their baby, notice the look of sheer zealotry behind their eyes.

The TM is a fabulous friend that does just about everything from chopping and grinding to kneading, weighing and cooking. I use Mac at least once every day, even when I’m not running a class.

I’m not a TM demonstrator or sales person; check out http://www.vorwerk.com/thermomix/html/ for more info. There are other great products out there too – it all depends on what you want out of your appliances.

• 11. Zoe  |  4 December 2011 at 4:06am

Looking at the ingrediants, is this edible? I don’t see why not, but then again it is soap…

• 12. Hannah  |  5 December 2011 at 9:51pm

Thanks for your comment, Zoe. Everything about this soap is edible. With no lye or other harsh chemicals involved, I should probably have called it an ‘unsoap’ or ‘beauty bar’ from the start.

• 13. Zoe  |  8 December 2011 at 11:20am

Cool! I have to try this!

• 14. Winter  |  6 December 2011 at 5:29am

Hey Hannah! We’ve spoken before about your Mac (that I cannot afford). Will you please give instructions for the “double-broiler with a whisk”? Please include what size the broiler should be and the temperature and such. I really wanna attempt to make this soap for my extremely dry skin. Thanks in advance!!

Winter

• 15. Hannah  |  6 December 2011 at 5:51pm

Nice to see you here again, Winter!

Setting up a double-boiler is cheap & easy if you just use utensils you already have in your kitchen. I found this YouTube clip that shows you how to set everything up.
      >If you still have dramas, I’ll write down a set of steps for you.

For a quick & easy moisturiser, you can try rubbing cold-pressed, organic coconut oil (with nothing else added) into your skin after a bath or shower.

Good luck – and let me know how you go!

• 16. Maggie  |  24 December 2011 at 9:47pm

I hope I get around to making this soon, sounds like it would smell so much nicer than the pinetarsol bar I use, it’s the only thing I’ve found that doesn’t dry my skin and make me itch/rash, but then I stopped looking. Thanks!

• 17. Tasos  |  26 December 2011 at 3:14pm

Hi,
    does it stay though even after you use it or do you just cut a piece every time you go the bath ? Thanks

• 18. Hannah  |  26 December 2011 at 6:11pm

>Maggie – thanks for your comment! I was reacting even to Pinetarsol when I derived this recipe in desperation, and my unsoap smells infinitely more attractive.

Good luck; I hope it helps!

>Tasos – I started off using my unsoap as a full bar in the bath/shower, storing it in a container (and in the fridge on hot days) between uses.

When I use my unsoap now, I cut a little piece (approx. 1cm x 2cm x 2cm) for each shower/bath.

• 19. chupimum  |  16 July 2012 at 7:19pm

Hi Hanna

I made this soap a few weeks back in my thermomix and ended up sharing it with the ants!! My partner used it too and I have to say…it is DIVINE!!! I didn’t have cacao butter, so made my own in the thermo by blitzing shredded coconut until I got ‘butter’. I also made my own oat flour.

You wouldn’t believe it, but when I use this soap I don’t need deodorant. I have tested this out twice (one day using the soap and another day a different commercial soap, and then using edible soap again) and it definitely works!

Thank you for sharing – we both love it and I’m going to make round two tomorrow!

Steph

• 20. Hannah  |  18 July 2012 at 4:23pm

Those were very lucky ants, Steph!

Thanks for your lovely feedback. It’s great you managed to find work-arounds for some of the ingredients, and I am so glad that you and your partner like it. And, like you, I found that I didn’t need deodorant after showering with this unsoap.

Let me know how you go with round two!

• 21. Katie  |  4 September 2012 at 2:30pm

Would you be able to keep it in liquid form and use a pump bottle instead of freezing into bars? As we are about to head into summer in Melbourne, I don’t want it to melt in the bathroom!

• 22. Hannah  |  7 September 2012 at 9:23am

You absolutely could, Katie. It may be a little ‘bitty’ to store in a pump bottle, however I have stored a previous batch in the bathroom, in a jar with a spoon, and that worked out fabulously.

• 23. Saphiralys  |  8 February 2013 at 1:57pm

Hiya :) So I made some unsoap last week in my thermomix, it turned out ok, I need to mill the oats down a bit more next time I think it turned out a bit gritty, which is ok for an exfoliation :) I also used hemp seed oil instead of macadamia oil as I couldn’t find any and I know hemp seed oil is a great skin tonic, i also didn’t have any vanilla pods but i’ll make sure I have them next time for the yummy smell :) it still smelled good bit like an oat cookie!! thanks for the great recipe xoxo

• 24. Hannah  |  10 April 2013 at 4:22pm

I am so glad you tried it, Saphiralys – and thanks for reporting back. Like all recipes, it’s important to change the recipe to meet your own needs – and it sounds like you are definitely finding your own groove!

• 25. Brianna  |  15 June 2013 at 6:23am

Hi Hannah. I’m so excited to try this recipe. I’m at my wits end with my skin. I’ve been using the strongest topical cortisone cream along with high potency drugs to alleviate the itch, but still no improvement, only getting worse. I have managed to buy all of the ingredients except the honeycomb. Can you suggest anything else I might use? Could I use normal honey as a substitute? Would appreciate any suggestions you might have, cannot wait to try this!

• 26. Hannah  |  15 June 2013 at 8:30pm

Thanks for your comment, Brianna. It sounds like I was at a similar stage as you when I created my unsoap. Tired of taking pills and using medicated creams that spread my skin rash, I resorted to wearing coconut oil during the day and nappy rash cream to bed – and my paperthin skin still itched like crazy.

You could absolutely use honey as a substitute – just make sure it is raw, and use jarrah honey if you can. I have no doubt there are other excellent ingredients that can be used, so long as they are organic and unprocessed.

Bear in mind also the fact that, at the time I made my unsoap, I made a stack of other mental and lifestyle changes that helped me incredibly. My unsoap soothed me as I healed my mind and body.

I wish you all the best – and please let me know how my unsoap treats you.

• 27. Ali  |  8 July 2013 at 2:12am

does this provide lather and the main cleaning function of a soap?

• 28. Ali  |  8 July 2013 at 2:49am

consider adding soapnut concentrate liquid for lather :

• 29. Ali  |  8 July 2013 at 2:53am

One idea is to even blend the soapnuts in the mixture and then heat it and let it stay over night to generate the surfactants\soap. This would make it a real soap without a lye.

• 30. Hannah  |  17 September 2013 at 9:49pm

Thanks for your comments, Ali. My unsoap doesn’t lather, however includes a number of ingredients with antibacterial, antimicrobial qualities.

Adding soapnuts is a great idea, and one I haven’t tried. Did you give it a go? How did it work out for you?

• 31. Brian  |  7 November 2013 at 12:36am

So, your saying that I can eat this food and it will clean my skin? Also, why is there no glycerin?

• 32. Hannah  |  7 November 2013 at 11:48pm

Thanks for your comment, Brian.

The point of my unsoap is not to eat it, but to use it on your skin as soap. Sorry if that wasn’t clear from the post!

That said, you can eat it if you want to. All of the ingredients are very healthful.

• 33. Hannah  |  7 November 2013 at 11:49pm

PS. No glycerin is added because I set out to create something from what I had in the pantry. At the time, glycerin based products made my skin crawl and itch and I was desperate to find a soothing alternative to soap.

• 34. Brian  |  7 November 2013 at 12:57am

Do I really need the honeycomb because that is very expensive?

• 35. Hannah  |  7 November 2013 at 11:53pm

Thanks for your further comment, Brian. You could leave the honeycomb out of the soap if you like, but the end result won’t be as luxurious and hydrating for your skin.

I used healthful ingredients that I had to hand and I encourage you to do the same.

• 36. Jasmine  |  31 March 2014 at 2:06pm

This would make a beautiful moisturising bar for people that use soaps