Where do you shop?
Tell me, and you may just win yourself a prize. More on that later.
At every class/workshop, I am asked where I shop for organic produce and whole foods. I am pleased to let you know that Perth has a growing number of excellent stores, markets and co-ops in addition to some great online stores, and more than once I have undertaken to post about them. So here they are, and here it is – a post of lists.
WA stores with good organic selections
- Organic on Charles – Shop 7, 299 Charles Street, North Perth
- Absolutely Organic – 782 North Beach Road (behind Caltex), Gwelup
- Mr Fresh Carine – Shop 12 Carine Glades Shopping, 473 Beach Road, Duncraig
- Manna Wholefoods – 274 South Terrace, Fremantle
- Peaches Fresh – 1-3/195 Hampton Road, South Fremantle
- The Green Bean Organic Store + Cafe – 25D Gallipoli Street, Lathlain
- Loose Produce – 2 Hobbs Ave, Como
- Alive Organics (and raw food cafe) – Shop 7/515 Walter Road East, Morley
- Organic Selection – Shop 160, 243 Walter Road, Morley
- Mt Lawley Wholefoods (and raw food cafe) – Unit 3/885 Beaufort Street (cnr 9th Ave), Inglewood
- Natures Harvest – 20 Napoleon Street, Cottesloe
- Malibu Fresh Essentials – Malibu Shopping Centre, Malibu Road, Safety Bay
- Miami Fresh
- Dynamic Organic – 47b Breakwater Parade, Mandurah Ocean Marina, Mandurah
WA markets with organic stallholders
- Subi Farmers Market – Subiaco Primary School, Bagot Road – Saturday mornings
- Poynter Farmers’ Market – Poynter Primary School, Duncraig – every 2nd Saturday morning (including tomorrow!)
- Mt Claremont Farmers Market – 103 Alfred Road, Mt Claremont – Saturday mornings
- Perth City Farm – 1 City Farm Place, East Perth – Saturday mornings
- The Farmers Market on Manning – Clontarf Campus, Curtin University, Manning Road, Waterford – Saturday mornings
- Growers’ Green Farmers’ Market – South Fremantle High School, Lefroy Road, Beaconsfield – Sunday mornings
- Fremantle Markets – cnr South Terrace & Henderson Street, Fremantle – all day Friday-Sunday
- Mondo Markets – 824 Beaufort Street (cnr 6th Avenue), Inglewood – Saturday mornings, from September to Christmas
- Peel Farmers Market – including TurnOrganic
Co-ops in Perth
- Food Co op NOR Perth – via https://www.facebook.com/groups/foodcoopnorperth/
- The Organic Collective – via http://www.organiccollective.com.au/ or Shop 1, Greenslade Street, Hamilton Hill
- The Raw Macaw – via https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Raw-Macaw/179593462092916 or the South Fremantle Market on Sundays
This is by no means a complete list. I hope that it will be useful as a basic reference, whether you are just starting to buy more organic and whole foods or you are looking to expand your horizons. These are based on my Perth experience, so please feel free to comment with details of stores, markets and co-ops from your local area.
In fact, your comment may just win you a movie ticket. Courtesy of Curious Film, I have five double passes to the new film Entre Les Bras (Step Up To The Plate) to give away*.
Entre Les Bras opens in Australian cinemas on 29 November, and is the story of a father who is lovingly handing over his world-renowned and three Michelin-starred restaurant to his son. It looks to be an incredible journey involving excellence, relationships, succession planning and beautiful food.
All you need to do for a chance to win is comment on this post with the places that you most like to shop for organic and/or whole foods.
Enter before 9pm WST (Perth time) on Tuesday, 27 November; strictly one entry per person. I will draw five lucky commenters at random (using http://www.random.org/) and contact winners for postal details – unless there are five or less commenters, in which case, you automatically have yourself a ticket.
Happy shopping – and good luck!
*Please note that I declined attendance at the preview and will be paying for my own ticket when I see the movie; my attendance is not sponsored. I thought this was worth noting, in case of the perception that I have accepted payment for promotion, which is not the case. I merely want to be able to offer the opportunity to view to you, lovely reader!
Addendum of 30 November 2012: Additional stores/contacts have been added, further to post comments to date.